Where we are...
Why start with Nicaragua?
- Nicaragua is the poorest Spanish-speaking country in the world. It is the 2nd poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The country's poverty most severely affects women and children.
- Nearly 50% of all Nicaraguans are either unemployed or underemployed.
- Distribution of income in Nicaragua is one of the most unequal on the globe. Over 2 million Nicaraguans live in poverty. The majority of Nicaraguans live on less than $2/day and more than 800,000 live in extreme poverty, less than $1/day.
- 1 of every 3 Nicaraguan children has some degree of malnutrition.
- 1 of every 4 Nicaraguan children is born to a teenage mother.
- Less than 30% of all Nicaraguan children complete an elementary education. On average, Nicaraguans complete fewer than 5 years of schooling.
- 95% of all disabled children in the country receive no appropriate support.
Tonight, almost 1 billion people will
go to bed hungry.